We are recruiting 5 PhD students for projects on genetic skeletal and cardiac muscle disease. Many individuals are identified as carrier of a pathogenic gene defect (mutation). However, current treatment options for affected individuals are limited. Within the research projects we perform studies in mouse models, stem cell-derived models and tissue form patient cohorts, to unravel disease mechanisms and test new interventions. Projects are part of (inter)national collaborations and include state-of-the-art methodologies, and close collaborations with clinical departments.
As a PhD student you will work in an internationally orientated research enviroment, where your main tasks and responsabilities are:
- Test research hypotheses of the projects on genetic muscle diseases;
- Train MSc and BSc students who work with you on your project;
- Write and publish the results with the goal to receive your PhD.
We are searching for enthousiastic PhD students with the following characteristics:
- MSc degree in Medical Natural Science, Biomedical Science, Medicine, or a related discipline;
- Affinity with the fundamental aspects of research and translating these aspects to a clinical setting;
- High level of independence and the ability to take ‘ownership’ of the project;
- A good command, both spoken and written, of the English language.
Your work environment
The Department of Physiology at Amsterdam UMC (location VUmc) performs research in the area of muscle structure and function. The research groups use state-of-the-art physiological and imaging setups, animal models, stem cell-derived models, and human muscle biopsies to study muscle cell structure/function and to achieve insights into the pathophysiology of muscle diseases. There is close collaboration with other preclinical and clinical department, which is organzied within the Amsterdam Cardiovascular Sciences Institute. For more information please visit the websites Physiology and ACS.
Working at Amsterdam UMC means working in an inspiring and professional environment in which developing one`s talents and skills is encouraged. We offer you ample opportunity for development, deepening and broadening, additional training and a place to grow!
Salary Scale PHD: 2495 tot 3196 euro gross when employed full-time (depending on qualifications and experience).
The monthly wage will increase yearly to the maximum wage in the fourth year of EUR 3.196 gross per month.
In addition we offer:
- In addition to a good salary, we offer, among other things, 8.3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance.
- Free and unlimited access to the training offer of our online learning environment GoodHabitz.
- Your pension is accrued at The Dutch Pension Fund for government and education employees (ABP). Amsterdam UMC contributes 70% of this scheme.
- We reimburse 75% of your public transport travel costs and also offer a bicycle arrangement.
We offer an initial contract for 12 months that can be extended (after evaluation) for another 36 months.
For more information about our employment conditions, please visit our website.
For Dutch citizens it is mandatory to provide a certificate of conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag; VOG).
The preferred starting date is March 1, 2021. This date is negotiable.
Information and application
Don’t hesitate to call us!
If you’re interested about this position, you can contact Prof. dr. Jolanda van der Velden, via telephone number 020 444 8704.
If you need more information about the application procedure, contact Brend de Jong, corporate recruiter at 020 444 8704.
You can apply till 28 January 2021 by using the apply button.
Acquisition based on this vacancy is not appreciated.