We are seeking talented RNA scientists with experience in neuroscience or the ambition to apply their expertise in (human) neuroscience and genetic brain disorders. Applicants should be ready to develop an independent and innovative research program using cell- and rodent models to explore new directions in translation regulation, RNA stability or –transport and to investigate how genetic variation contributes to brain disease. We are seeking candidates that have ample experience with state-of-the-art technology in the field, with an excellent publication record, at least as a first- and potentially also as a last author, and some previous/current success in external grant acquisition. The successful candidate’s research program is expected to complement existing expertise within the department and center, for which significant infrastructure and operating funds are available.
Successful candidates are expected to:
- develop an innovative, independent research program, connecting to and augmenting existing research in the center, and resulting in scientific publications in the best, peer-reviewed journals;
- support your research program with external funding;
- supervise graduate students;
- contribute to undergraduate teaching, at bachelor and master level.
We are seeking an assistant professor with the following qualities and requirements:
- You have completed a PhD in Molecular (Neuro-)Biology, Biophysics or related field;
- You have at least three years of postdoctoral research experience outside the institute where your PhD degree was obtained;
- You have a strong publication record;
- You have been able to acquire external research funding;
- You have a proven ability for academic supervision and training of students;
- You have a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ/BKO), or are willing to obtain such a qualification;
- You master the English language at CEFR C1/C2 level.
Your work environment
You will be working at the department of Human Genetics at the Center for Neurogenomics and Cognitive Research (CNCR) of the Amsterdam UMC. The main location for this position will be location VUmc. You will have dedicated support of lab technicians available and free access to all equipment within the center. Integration in the host institute’s research will be supported by the department with a PhD-student.
Working at Amsterdam UMC means working in an inspiring and professional environment in which developing one`s talents and skills is encouraged. We offer you ample opportunity for development, deepening and broadening, additional training and a place to grow!
Salary Scale 12: 4763 tot 6122 euro gross when employed full-time (depending on qualifications and experience).
We offer a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant Professor, initially for the duration of 5 years. Within an agreed period, tenure could be achieved if the faculty criteria for Assistant Professor are fulfilled. During the tenure, the performance will be evaluated in terms of publication record, and acquisition of personal grants or equivalent project funding and teaching. After a successful evaluation, permanent employment is granted.
In addition we offer:
- 8.3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance.
- Free and unlimited access to the training offer of our online learning environment GoodHabitz.
- Your pension is accrued at The Dutch Pension Fund for government and education employees (ABP). Amsterdam UMC contributes 70% of this scheme.
- We reimburse 75% of your public transport travel costs and also offer a bicycle arrangement.
For more information about our employment conditions, please visit our website.
For Dutch citizens it is mandatory to provide a certificate of conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag; VOG).
When short-listed for the position, an in-person interview and presentation before the summer of 2021 will be required. Target start date: Oct 1st, 2021.
The following supporting documents are required (please submit as single pdf):
- a cover letter
- curriculum vitae, incl. publicationlist with first/last author papers separated from collaborative work
- a short statement of research
- the names and contact information of three referees.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact Prof.dr. Matthijs Verhage (email@example.com). Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
Information and application
Don’t hesitate to call us!
If you’re interested about this position, you can contact Prof. dr. Matthijs Verhage, via telephone number see ‘further info’.
If you need more information about the application procedure, contact Brend de Jong, corporate recruiter at 020 444 8704.
You can apply till 16 May 2021 by using the apply button.
Acquisition based on this vacancy is not appreciated.